Sharing Kenya

Our time in Kenya was such a special and unique time in our lives, and we were lucky enough to share it with my mother-in-law. We've lived by my in-laws, Kelly and Steve, for most of our Just before we left, she came out for a week and we took her all over the country, making sure to hit all of the best spots. 

We kicked off Day 1 at the Elephant Orphanage and Giraffe Manor. After our first visit, it had secured itself as one of my all-time favorite highlights from Kenya, and it had not lost its appeal. Layne had to work, so it was just us girls exploring Karen. 

The elephants were especially playful and friendly that day. They were play wrestling with one another, lolling happily in the dirt, and slurping their water greedily. 


The best part was when we posed for a picture, and then suddenly there was a loud trumpeting and stampeding behind us.

We got charged mid-pose. Note: the pure panic.

We got charged mid-pose. Note: the pure panic.

Not as innocent as they look.Β 

Not as innocent as they look. 

In between the Elephant Orphanage and Giraffe Manor, we visited Kazuri Bead Factory. The company was set up as a way to employ single mothers, and after nearly 30 years it is now employing more than 400 women, providing them with healthcare and fair wages. We went on a tour of the factory, where they make clay-fired beads, pottery, and figurines and finished in a room that I think may have been heaven for Kelly. She owns her own jewelry company that has focuses on unique pieces with a global leaning, and we spent well over an hour pouring out buckets and buckets of beads, selecting each individual bead for its unique properties. 

After lunch, we headed over to the Giraffe Manor. At first, Kelly had a lot of nervous energy. Sometimes people try to toss the pellet to the giraffe, shirking back from the long purple tongue as it searches for the food. But it didn't take long for her to adjust and to begin feeding it like an old pro. She even let the giraffe eat the pellet right from her mouth! 

That night, we had a dinner with the Yum staff so Kelly could meet all of them. Just looking at these photos really makes me miss these guys! They bonded quickly, as everyone does with Kelly. She is just so good at drawing people out of their shelves and making them feel special. 

She stayed with us for an entire week, and this was just the first day! Get ready for posts that take us from the east coast of Kenya to the western plains.